Anite starts social media campaign to fight laziness

Anite-Evelyn

She said the move was meant to dissuade the youth from using social media platforms to post insults and nude pictures, which breeds a culture of laziness.

“So many of the young people are on social media, but what are they doing there? They are either spreading rumours or sharing nude photos,”Anite said.

“As the incoming youth minister, we are going to start a social media engagement with young people every Thursday to discuss policy and development issues.”

Anite said the campaign would be a platform for networking and sharing tips on how the youth can get jobs or earn money.

She revealed her plan at a meeting of the Uganda Parliamentary Forum on Youth Affairs (UPFYA) held at Fairway Hotel on Thursday.

The meeting was attended by MPs and youth leaders from across the country, to discuss the views of youth regarding the impact of government-funded youth programmes.

Much of the discussion revolved around the sh265b Youth Livelihood Programme, five-year initiative to provide start-up funds for youth projects.

The programme youth groups of 10-15 members from the same village. Each youth project is allocated up to sh12.5m, but a maximum of sh25m can be given to a group for unique projects.

It is different from the Youth Capital Venture Fund which is administered through commercial banks, attracts interest rate and requires applicants to provide collateral before accessing loans.

Youth councilors want more representation in the selection and monitoring of the youth projects while persons with disabilities (PWDs) want to apply for the funds using their organisations.

Eastern Youth MP, Peter Ogwang noted that some youth groups were not receiving the amount applied for, which in turn could affect the success of the projects.

James Ebitu, the manager of the Youth Livelihood Project revealed that sh4b was scheduled to be released next week to support 254 projects for 7,000 youth.

According to Ebitu, a total of 36,144 youth from 2,788 youth groups across the country have so far benefited from the programme since its inception in 2013.

Ebitu clarified that PWDs were free to form groups as long as they live in one village or to join groups of able-bodied youth.

The ministry was by Wednesday scheduled to release a detailed progress report on the programme that has so far been rolled out in 92 districts countrywide.

Among 20 districts where youth groups are scheduled to receive the funds are Kyegegwa, Soroti, Kiboga, Kaliro and Kamwenge. Ebitu said the funds for the groups have been secured.

Ahmed Hadji of the African Youth Development Link proposed that the ministry adopts the idea of sending out SMS alerts to inform youth about the programme.

The parliamentary forum is preparing a policy paper with views from youth leaders on the youth programmes including the Student’s Loan Scheme and National Agricultural Advisory Services.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s